Call for ESCM best PhD thesis award
The ESCM is happy to announce the 2022 and 2023 editions of the best PhD Dissertation Award. The aim is to encourage high-quality work amongst early career researchers in their doctoral research period in Europe.
The award will be delivered during the 21st European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM21), to be held in Nantes (France), from 2-5 July 2024.
The winners of the award are invited to attend and present their doctoral research at ECCM21 (with fees waived and with reasonable transportation and accommodation costs covered), where they will receive a certificate or medal for their award, during the conference dinner.
2022 & 2023 editions: eligible candidates are those who officially obtained a PhD degree defended in 2022 and in 2023 (respectively), awarded by an institution located in Europe. The dissertation should be focused on any aspect of composites (e.g. synthesis, manufacture, mechanics, etc) and can be experimental and/or analytical and/or numerical.
The overall criterion is research excellence, which includes: originality and depth of contribution, rigour, methodological soundness, form and quality of presentation, and significance to the research community.
The above will be judged using the following as evidence:
- CV of the candidate (1-page limit)
- the PhD thesis (in any language);
- an executive summary of the PhD thesis in English (3-4 pages);
- the journal papers (published and submitted) and patents stemming from the thesis;
- a nomination from the supervisor (1-page limit), and covering at least the following points:
- what the scope of the PhD thesis is;
- why the thesis is exceptional;
- what the key original contributions contained in the thesis are;
- why the original contributions are significant; and
- how the original contributions are reflected in any journal publications or patents.
Questions and enquiries can be directed to the chair(s) of the PhD thesis award committee:
The deadline for applications will be 31st of December 2023.
Applicants will have to submit the following information, using the application form to be downloaded HERE